I had spinach for breakfast. Oh yes I sure did. I adapted Joy’s kale, spinach and pear smoothie recipe,which is here. I didn’t have kale, so I upped the amount of spinach a bit.
I know this doesn’t look particularly appetizing, for which I blame my camera (and lack of kale green-i-ness), but trust me when I say it was delicious. The pear really makes this. Don’t leave it out. It’s too nice. I don’t even like eating pears.
You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of spinach leaves
- 1/2 pear
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 1/2 cups cold milk alternative (or juice)
- 1 tablespoon honey **
- (also threw in a half teaspoon of super! rainbows! love! go!)
** If your milk is sweetened (mine was), or if you use juice, it’s probably safe to omit the honey. I forgot to add it and found that I really didn’t need it. Without the honey, this is vegan-friendly, or you could sub agave or maple syrup. Or stevia, I guess, but gross.
I normally use unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze, if you’re curious. It can be hard to find. I accidentally bought the sweetened version and it’s a little bleh.
This is what you’ll do:
- Combine spinach and almond milk in the blender. Blend until there are no big bits.
- Add banana, pear, and honey to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Into a glass it goes!